Monday, April 23, 2012

My Semana Santa moment

My Semana Santa moment occurred in our second day in the city. It was Palm Sunday and we were walking around the streets looking at alfombras before the procession came through. The men's procession passed by and I found myself looking more at the men carrying the anda than the anda itself. When it came time for the women's procession with the Virgin Mary, I don't think I looked up at the anda at all. I was captivated by the women carrying the anda. They were doing this because they chose to. They wanted to. Most of the women, to me, appeared to be young girls in their teens. Years younger than me. They were carrying and maneuvering this through the streets. You could see some had their eyes closed, while others were focusing on a unknown spot ahead of them. I was captivated by them. After they passed I was speechless. Not only was this an event for these young girls, it was their heritage. Then I realized we weren't just coming to Antigua to make an alfombra. We were coming to be a part of this city's Holy Week ceremonies. It was an experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment