Monday, April 23, 2012

Dr. Bolin's "Semana Santa Moment"

My Semana Santa moment occurred when we all gathered around to take the photographs of the alfombra we had just completed. For me, it was the culmination of not just 7 hours of work on the cobblestone street in front of the Casa, but the focus of nearly 10 months planning this incredible trip. I loved every minute of it. I knew that in a few hours the alfombra would be just traces of sawdust in the street, as the evening procession would come by soon and the tangible presence of our work would be gone. But that was OK, because giving our work away to the community, both in making the alfombra and letting it go, was an essential part of the process. This was a surprising lesson I learned through this adventure. Our time around the alfombra was also a fabulous moment for me because I was experiencing it with some amazing young people who have left an indelible mark on my life.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the opportunity Dr. Bolin! I shed a few tears as I read through your words.. This trip meant a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete