Monday, April 23, 2012

Emily W's Semana Santa Moment

My Semana Santa moment was when I first heard the funeral processional music that followed the anda. For some reason even as a visual artist sound cues have a more powerful grasp on me. I saw those men and women struggling to carry this massive anda which intrigued and touched me but it was only when I heard the music that I really started to understand why they were all here and why we were here in Antigua. I am willing to admit that with the crash of the cymbal my heart stopped and I teared up a little. The horns radiated the sound of pain and mourning and I thought not only of the dead Christ that was being carried and mourned by the whole city but also of all my loved ones whom I have lost. I will always remember the slow and rhythmic drums along with blast of the horns and hopefully I will be able to experience them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment